I woke up at half six this morning. Drove my sister to school (in my activewear) then smashed an Arms & Abs #BBG followed by a Shoulder weights workout at the gym. Oh and did I mentioned that I am snacking on 1 pink lady apple, 4 dates & one really brown banana while I type this? Sounds like the healthiest morning indeed! But wait till I tell you about my eating pattern the last few days- Domino’s Pizzas, Chocolate Lava cakes, SamYang Spicy Noodles, McDonalds Spicy Chicken & Fries and gosh…easier said, my health track has gone a bit off the wagon since I came back to Malaysia. I would normally say that it’s OK to indulge once in a while in moderation, but I think my ‘indulgence’ has snowballed into a see-how-much-you-can-stuff-in-your-face per day. And if they were vegetables, fruits or heck, even just proper meals like Nasi (rice) with some Lauk (side dishes like Chicken and Greens), I’d still be OK. But I’m really just damaging my body with the unhealthiest bits of things- like JUNK food- at the moment and that’s not OK, even though I still sweat almost everyday. So this has to change. Now.
I’m going to call this prep the Project X Prep (like the title of the blog) and the purpose of this ‘prep’ is to primarily prepare for a (secret) project I’m starting in late September (I can’t tell you what it is yet, but feel free to guess! :p ). It’s fitness related and I really need to be in my strongest form by then. I would also need adequate amount of stamina & strength to hike up Mount Kilimanjaro (which takes 7 days to climb up & down haha) early September so you can say that I am pretty much killing two birds with on stone. Looking ahead, there’s about 20 weeks or so, which seems long, but in that same period I’ll be sitting for my final exams, then us Muslims will observe the Ramadan and Eid, and I’ll be spending my two months of my Summer abroad. Hence, there will be A LOT of distractions and traveling so typing this alone already makes the whole ‘prep’ sound really daunting. But I believe that #thisgirlcan.
Now let’s get to the plan. But before I start, I just want to emphasise that I do not condone a really strict fitness regime unless you are actually working towards something. For example, if you are a competing body builder for a competition or like myself, participating in a fitness project. Otherwise, I am a strong proponent of moderation who believes that fitness shouldn’t be your whole life. Exercise to celebrate your body’s strength & eat, albeit mindfully, to celebrate it. Don’t merely workout just to earn that bar of Cadbury!
Nutrition wise, I’ll only stick to whole foods- basically, things that look exactly like the food. To illustrate, think of chicken nuggets. Do they look like a chicken to you? My guess is no! Easier said, I’m cutting down on all things artificial like junk food and sweets until my prep is over. In the meantime, I will fill my plate with anything wholesome and ensure that I get adequate servings of my nutrition everyday (I follow Dr Greger’s Daily Dozen Cart on this, but am replacing my beans for lean animal meat. Do note that the link is just an example of his Daily Dozen list, if you want the real one, with many more options, get his book!). And of course, water- which I am by default, a water-sucking human being so that isn’t of my main concern. The only thing I’m worried about is saying no completely to sweet things- which I love very much. So instead of going to the extreme at the start, I’ll start with the more realistic & sustainable approach by relaxing the rule to ONE YOLO meal per week, as opposed to none. But only ONE fie. You can do this.
In terms of exercise, I’m no longer doing the routine I posted a while ago. But instead, am changing it up a bit! So the first ten weeks, I am shredding. If you’re new to this term, it basically means that I want to ‘cut’ on something- like weight or body fat percentage- and my main concern is the latter! To reduce my body fat percentage to 19%, my workouts will be a lot more intense in terms of repetitions and the weights I use will be reduced. And for me, doing Kayla Itsines’ BBG fits perfectly well with this goal, and that was mainly why I bought her program. Aside from that, I also have a FitBit Aria (which has a body fat percentage measurement) and a FitBit Alta (to track my calories & steps & general fitness progress) to aid with my Project X Prep! Anyway, here is an example of what I’ll do in a week:
- BBG means Bikini Body Guide, the program by Kayla Itsines I was telling you about (I’m on Week 3 as of typing this btw)
- LISS is Low Intensity Steady State. I operate on a Cardi-NO basis so you can guess that I dread these LISS days the most. Essentially, I’ll do something shorter & lighter on Tuesdays (say, 10-15 mins) but on Saturdays, I can push to (25-30 mins). Examples of things I’ll do are: running, bicycling, hiking or swimming. It really depends which country I am at that time tho… because obviously who wants to swim in cold London haha.
- WT means Weight Training. I know I said that I was shredding so I should incorporate more HIIT workouts instead of shoving weight training into my schedule but I just feel like BBG itself is HIIT for me. There are like Burpees and Squat Jumps and Split Lunges (which I hate soooo much) so I don’t think I can double that intake per day! I’d die hahaha. So instead, I will start incorporating weights in my shred period just to give me a good foundation when I start ‘bulking’ in the second 10 weeks. But bear in mind that #BBG in itself is quite intense so my weight sessions are downsized to only 1 round of 3 sets of 6-8 reps of 3-4 exercise of whatever it is that I am doing. Obviously, this will change in the next 10 weeks- which you guys will know of at the start of July (make sure you’re subscribed to my blog to be the first to read!).
- I have two rest days here, as opposed to one because I feel like I absolutely need them! But one of those days, I’ll be going to ‘Rehab’ which means that I’ll either go Yoga (for deep stretches) or Foam Roll. It depends really… & the other day, I’ll be completely exercise free.
- ‘Challenge’ is something from the #BBG thing and it varies with weeks. Last week, I had a 1000 repetition challenge and I died haha. This week is legs challenge… which means that I will probably RIP the next day #hateLegDay & finally, ‘Skills’ is a day devoted to practice my hand stand and pull up. I can already do a handstand but I have to practice holding it longer, while my pull ups progress is still nil! It’s so hard but I have 20 weeks and I’m damn determined!
- Do note that everyday, I discipline myself with warm up before I start & stretching afterwards. The kind of warm up I do mixes dynamic moves like jumping jack, soldier kicks & skipping with mobility stretches (think plank walks and deep alternating lunges) or activations (like using a resistance band, especially when that day is gluten dominant!). And again, all these depend on the kinds of exercise I will do on that day!
I didn’t really expected that this article was going to be a mouthful but if you made it this way, you are amazing! Here’s to transforming our body into its strongest version possible and to be more mindful regarding the choices we make about food. I will be utilising the hashtag #ProjectXPrep on things that are related to its preparation across all my social medias and in 10 weeks, when I am done with my ‘shred’ phase, I’ll update phase 2 here. See you then!
Let me know what is your current fitness goal & Leave your questions/comments below!
Stay Quirky, Fie <3